One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan national and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy. (Forms are available at the Embassy).
- Valid passports with current visas of both parties should be produced.
- Original Birth Certificates with English translation of both parties
- Two (02) witnesses – should be Sri Lankan nationals with valid visas and valid passports at their presence. Witnesses should be known to the both parties.
- Both parties should submit following documents
a) If Unmarried – A certificate or a declaration on the unmarried status
b) Divorcee - Divorce Certificate and Free to Marry Certificate/s
c) If widowed, the Death Certificate of your late spouse, your previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
d) If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names)
Following should be noted as well;
- Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: – An affidavit/ statutory declaration signed by a lawyer or Justice of Peace to confirm present status (un-married/ free to marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/ legalised by the respective Foreign Office and attested by the Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country.
- Unmarried Certificates of Sri Lankan nationals for the time lived in Sri Lanka should be attested by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo.
- Unmarried Certificates of non Sri Lankan nationals should be certified by their respective Sri Lankan Foreign Mission in the country and legalised by the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Turkey.
- Residence Requirements: – Both parties should have lived in the Turkey for ten (10) or more days immediately prior to the date of giving notice of marriage.
Procedure for Registration of a Marriage
1. Notice of Marriage: – the Notice of Marriage Form should be completed in the presence of a Diplomatic Officer and signed by two (02) witnesses at presence at the Embassy.
2. Marriage Registration: – Any time after twelve (12) working days and before three (03) months of giving notice at the Embassy premises.
1. Notice of Marriage – 20 USD
2. Registration & issuance of a Marriage – 33 USD
Registrar General’s Department
TP: 00 94 11 2393071