Issuance of Temporary/Emergency Passports
Non-Machine Readable Passports (NMRP)
An Emergency Travel Document valid for three months may be issued to enable a Sri Lanka national to return to Sri Lanka in case of an emergency in the following circumstances.
- The original passport is lost/damaged/stolen
- The original passport is expired
- Who do not have a Passport or a Travel Document and who wish to return to Sri Lanka
- Who have withdrawn their appeal for extend a visa to stay in the Turkey/ Georgia/Ukraine or relevant authorities have rejected visa application
Temporary Travel documents are valid for 03 months from the date of issue and issued for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka. The applicants cannot travel to any other country by using a NMRP passport or cannot use it to obtain a visa to further stay in the Turkey/Ukraine/Georgia
The applicants are required to call over at the Consular Division of this Mission in person for an interview to obtain a Temporary/Emergency Travel Document.
- A letter requesting an Emergency Travel Document
- Duly filled Application (Form ‘K’- 35 A)
- Police report obtained from the local police station in the country of residence and dully filled stolen or lost passport complaint form (If passport is lost)
- Expired passport or if lost copy of lost/damage/stolen passport
- Original Birth Certificate
- Current visa to stay in Turkey/ Ukraine/Georgia and the document of “Non acquisition of Turkey/Ukraine/Georgia Citizenship confirmation from Turkey/Ukraine/Georgia Authorities
- Relevant Citizenship Certificate under section 5(2) or 17 issued by the D/I&E (If the applicant is born outside Sri Lanka or a citizen by registration)
The Prescribed Fee:
|Non Machine Readable Passport (NMRP)
|NMRP – (If previous travel document lost)
- Sri Lankan Diplomatic Mission or Consulate shall transmit to the Immigration Department in Sri Lanka the details of the stolen or lost passports. Upon receipt of such information, we will take necessary measures to cancel the stolen, lost or missing passport.
- Passport reported lost or stolen can no longer be used for travel. - The details of cancellation will be automatically shared worldwide to avoid misuse. Never use the lost or stolen passport again, even you find it later, after making a complaint. You are strongly advised to obtain a new passport immediately to avoid inconvenience.