Legal Requirements for Registrations of Marriages in Mission
One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan national and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy. (Forms are available at the Embassy).
- Valid passports with current visas of both parties should be produced.
- Original Birth Certificates with English translation of both parties
- Two (02) witnesses - should be Sri Lankan nationals with valid visas and valid passports at their presence. Witnesses should be known to the both parties.
- Both parties should submit following documents
- If Unmarried - A certificate or a declaration on the unmarried status
- Divorcee - Divorce Certificate and Free to Marry Certificate / s ( Should be certified Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka)
- If widowed, the Death Certificate of your late spouse, your previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
- If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names)
Following should be noted as well;
- Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: - An affidavit / statutory declaration signed by a lawyer or Justice of Peace to confirm present status (un-married / free to marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified / legalised by the respective Foreign Office and attested by the Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country.
- Unmarried Certificates of Sri Lankan nationals for the time lived in Sri Lanka should be attested by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo.
- Unmarried Certificates of non Sri Lankan nationals should be certified by their respective Sri Lankan Foreign Mission in the country and legalized by the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Turkey.
- Residence Requirements: - Both parties should have lived in the Turkey for ten (10) or more days immediately prior to the date of giving notice of marriage.
Procedure for Registration of a Marriage
1. Notice of Marriage: - the Notice of Marriage Form should be completed in the presence of a Diplomatic Officer and signed by two (02) witnesses at presence at the Embassy.
2. Marriage Registration: - Any time after twelve (12) working days and before three (03) months of giving notice at the Embassy premises.
1st Notice of Marriage - 20 USD
2. Registration & issuance of a Marriage - 33 USD
Registrar General’s Department
TP: 00 94 11 2393071